Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I'm Participating in Sucrette's CAL


Can't get the html code to work! Click HERE to be taken to the CAL post.
There's also a Flickr Group and a Ravelry Group for this CAL too!


The idea behind the CAL was to finally make something for yourself... however, I just don't see myself wearing this... 

Fortunately, I have other people to make things for, two beautiful, wonderful little people in fact! The only other time I ever made a poncho was for Biggest when she was about 1 year old. It's just very serendipitous that this CAL came along just as Littlest is turning a year! How could I not make this?!

I am using Red Heart Soft yarn. It's soft so it will feel good, but it's also 100% acrylic so it will be washable and wearable for little ones! Plus, it was on sale at Michael's, so I could afford to buy a bunch and not feel guilty!

Biggest chose these colours:


So I set off to work:


I had a bit of trouble starting. I knew I wanted to do a row of single crochet to start, but both times I went to join the ends together after my first row of singles, it was all twisted up! I finally had an aha moment and decided instead to do a round of foundation singles and it worked much better :)


Can any of you tell were I made my big boo boo on this? It was not a pattern fault of any kind...

I messed up the colours Biggest had chosen!! I used navy instead of the wine she had originally picked :( Oops! Fortunately she didn't notice when I had her try it on this afternoon to make sure I had the right size...


Such a silly girl! She was making all these "heart" and "peace" signs with her hands that it was blocking the poncho! I finally convinced her to make the heart on her lap, but the consequence was her trying to restrain laughter! LOL Love her sooo much :)

Can't wait to continue with this. Will finish this up in no time, and then just have to wait for the weather to be good to take it outside and get some good pics :)

Thanks for taking a look,
post signature

11 comments:

  1. Cute, and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute. She chose well - the colours look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that looks like fun---I want to join the CAL, except that I don't think I'd wear one of these either, and have no (adorable!) kids to make one for instead. ;)

      I think your foundation-singles fix to the twistiness problem is genius, and I think I'll use that idea to make a granny-stripe cup cozy I'd been procrastinating on because I didn't want to crochet into the joined chain!

      Delete
    2. I HATE trying to work into a chain loop- this was Immensely easier, although I had to watch a few videos before I "got" it! Much easier to do after I practiced a few times!

      Delete
  3. Very nice!! And tell your daughter that I have a daughter that likes to make hearts with her hands too...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. She'll be so happy to hear that Debbie! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea so many women out there were crocheting the same poncho...where have I been? I modified the pattern and used double crochets instead of triples. The one I'm making for myself is a light worsted, so I'm using a "g" hook and things are going much slower.

    Thanks for stopping over at my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! You do wonderful work here, and you daughter is adorable. :)

    Blessings, ~Lisa@HappyinDoleValley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa! Thank you for coming over here :) Angie has Ravelry, Blogger and Flickr all set up with her Granny Poncho CAL! It's a very easy pattern, and the terms are in British, so a treble there is indeed a double here in North America! She has a beautiful blog too, love her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification. :) My dd's poncho was finished and lovingly worn yesterday for Easter services. I'm still working on mine and hope to finish up later this week if I get the time...

      Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful colourful little poncho!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehey! Is it possible for you to still remember the name of one of the colours? :D The one in the middle, upper row? :D

    If yes, please send an e-mail about it to: marika.stenman(at)tut.fi

    Thank you already! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a "hello"! You've really made my day :)